Tuesday, September 28, 2010

DUDE YA Help

Didn't have a planned post til tomorrow but:

Chatting with my lil bro today, I'm trying to get him into YA. (He laughed at me when I suggested it) He seems to be getting into the idea. So I told him to get The Hunger Games first for 2 reasons. 1. it's killer awesome! and 2. I couldn't think of guy friendly books I love other than that one! SO...

What are some fella friendly YA novels I could recommend for him? (he's not little. 22. But always my lil bro in my eyes.)So not tween.

I get to hang out with him this weekend when I go back to my home state so might have to show him around the YA section and hand him some good books so bring on the recommendations!

8 comments:

  1. Ooh, Ooh, Carter Finally Gets It by Brent Crawford. There is also a sequel out there. I met Brent- he's from the Kansas City area, and really funny. I admit I haven't read the books yet, but they are total YA guy books.

    The Unthinkable Thoughts of Jacob Green by Joshua Braff- this is sometimes considered YA, sometimes adult, because of the content. This is funny too, and actually by Zach Braff's (from Scrubs) brother.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness is awesome. I think it'd be a good pick for this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Hunger Games was my first thought! If he'd be willing to try epic fantasy, Eragon is a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe Break by Hannah Moskowitz.
    C.K Kelly Martin's books as well ~ I Know It's Over, The Lighter Side of Life and Death.

    They are all ones with males protags.

    I'd also suggest Sue Townsend's Adrian Mole diaries, especially The Growing Pains of Adrian Mole.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maximum Ride (James Patterson) or Drums, Girls, and Dangerous Pie (Jordan Sonnenblick). Is he into fantasy? The Pendragon series is great for guys (D. J. Machale).

    But I think Hunger Games is a great start.

    Did you get my email letting you know I received the book? I can't wait to read it this week! And your drawing on the envelope was adorable. :-) I was super excited!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've just fallen into the YA field so as far as books for guys in the teen industry I'm not sure I know of any, however if I come across some good reads I'll be sure to let you know!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've only skimmed it, but the Mortal Instruments series by Cassandra Clare looks good, and has a high sci-fi/fantasy element, so even though the MC is a girl I think it would appeal to guys as well.

    ReplyDelete

Say Something! I reply via email only.